Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Giver

The Giver by: Lois Lowry.
It is a must read. In this short book you learn so much.
I won't give to much of it away, if any of you haven't read it. I wanted to write a little about it and what I learned from this great book.

Quotes from the book:
"If every things the same, then there aren't any choices! I want to wake up in the morning and decide things!"

"I know it's not important what you wear. It doesn't matter but it's the choosing that's important, isn't it."


With sameness, you won't make wrong choices. That is a great concept. It is safer for everyone. But I am so glad that we have a Heavenly Father that decided that even with the pain of our wrong choices the benefits of making our own choices out way the safety of the sameness. With sameness there is meaningless and no concept of love. That is not worth living with right?

In the book there is a memory about Christmas. I got the biggest goose bumps on my arms and the greatest feeling when the memory was described. Christmas brings warmth, happiness, family and most of all LOVE.

With sameness there are no emotions felt you are just told what to feel. That is a weird concept to grasp. Emotions do not need to be told but felt.

And the worst part of holding a memory is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared. I honestly believe that with all my heart. I think that is why we were sent to families so we can create and share memories.

I know my thoughts are probably scattered everywhere. But it made me think that the plan our Heavenly Father is so true. It was well thought out and I am so grateful for that understanding. I am even grateful for the pain and hardship that comes with it, because with out it we would never know the happiness and love that comes with making our own choices.

You all need to take the time to read this book, if you haven't all ready.

2 comments:

  1. When i get a chance I will have to put that on my every growing list of things to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reread this book a couple of months ago. I agree it is a good one. It really makes you think. I had some of the same thoughts you did, I also thought about it in relation to todays government and their control over the people.
    What a blessing choice is in our life! Whether we choose right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete